Knowledge Management and Taxonomy Specialist (Contractor - Telecommuting)
Updated: July 27, 2017
FireOak Strategies, LLC, a boutique consulting firm specializing in Knowledge Management, Information Management, and Information Security, is looking for a Knowledge Management (KM) and taxonomy specialist. This person will work closely with other members of the FireOak team to: monitor, enhance, refine, and maintain taxonomies; apply taxonomy terms to content; analyze and report on metrics related to taxonomies and knowledge management; and contribute to the overall development of a robust KM ecosystem for client projects and internal purposes.
The Knowledge Management and Taxonomy Specialist contractor position is for 35 hours/week and is a remote/telecommuting position.
- Work directly with clients, partners, and other stakeholders to understand information access, discovery, knowledge sharing, and knowledge re-use needs
- Assist with management and maintenance of subject-specific taxonomies
- Develop and maintain scope notes, synonym lists, and related terms for taxonomies
- Suggest new taxonomy terms and other ways to enhance and refine taxonomies
- Apply taxonomy terms to content using various platforms, systems, and tools
- Contribute to the development of client-facing and internal knowledge base(s) and KM systems
- Review, analyze, and report on data from KM systems
- Draw insights from usage and access data to recommend and implement improvements to taxonomies, KM system design, search algorithms, and user interfaces
- Prepare new knowledge assets and edit, update, revise existing knowledge assets stored in various KM systems
- Support efforts to integrate data from or migrate data between KM systems
- Research use rights of articles, grey literature, and other digital assets
- Prepare written reports, slide decks, quick-start guides, best practices, and other resources for FireOak projects
- Monitor and keep the FireOak team apprised of constantly-evolving KM-related feature sets of selected cloud-based platforms such as Google Apps, Office 365, Salesforce, Amazon, or Azure
- Recommend additional ways to connect people to data, information, and knowledge using the platforms and tools at hand
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience:
- Master’s degree in library/information science
- Strong understanding of taxonomies from graduate coursework and/or in a professional setting
- Experience working with and understanding of copyright and Creative Commons licenses
- Clear and concise communication skills
- High degree of professionalism and discretion
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information quickly and with an attention to detail
- Ability to synthesize information and draft reports, summaries, slide decks, and recommendations
- Ability to consistently follow processes and operations
- Effective time-management skills: ability to prioritize, follow-through with tasks, juggle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Comfort with technology and learning new platforms is essential
- Experience working in higher education or familiarity with the higher education sector would be useful
About FireOak’s network of contractors:
Our growing network of contractors telecommute from within the United States. The KM and taxonomy specialist contractor will work approximately 35-hour work weeks with some flexibility. FireOak Strategies, LLC was named one of CIO Review’s 20 Most Promising Knowledge Management Solution Providers (2016). Come and join our award-winning team!
We review applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. If you are interested in working as a contractor, please follow the instructions below.
All of the current FireOak Strategies openings are posted to: jobs.fireoakstrategies.com.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter addressing why you are uniquely qualified for this position. Please submit materials as a single PDF and send to: email@example.com with the subject: “Knowledge Management and Taxonomy Specialist - Contractor Application (WE2270).”