Open Access Research for World Cancer Day
By the FireOak Strategies Team
February 4, 2019
February 4 is World Cancer Day each year. Join us to thank researchers and publishers for sharing their open access research and open data related to cancer research, technologies, treatments, and prevention programs.
We hope that open data and open access to research will lead to scientific advances sooner in the fight against all types of cancer. And we know that open access to publications can make it easier for patients, families, and medical practitioners to make informed decisions about treatment options, trials, and screening techniques.
Open Access Research
- Frontiers in Oncology World Cancer Day 2019 Special Edition, a curated collection of research from Frontiers journals, “highlighting ongoing research and advances being carried out in the different disciplines of cancer research.”
- OncoTargets and Therapy, an open access journal published by Dove Medical Press and available via ScienceOpen.com
- Cancer Science, the official journal of the Japanese Cancer Association, is available free from Wiley Online Library
- Molecular Cancer is an open access, peer-reviewed journal featuring high-quality original research and reviews that present or highlight significant advances in all areas of cancer and related biomedical science
- Neoplasia publishes the results of novel investigations in all areas of oncology research, encompassing the traditional disciplines of cancer research as well as emerging fields and interdisciplinary investigations
- Breast Cancer Research is an international, peer-reviewed open access online journal, publishing original research, reviews, editorials and reports.
- CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, published by the American Cancer Society, includes information about the prevention, early detection, and treatment of cancer, as well as nutrition, palliative care, survivorship, and additional topics of interest related to cancer care.
- Cancer is an international interdisciplinary journal published by the American Cancer Society. While articles from the last year require a subscription, all content older than twelve months is free to access online.
- Oncology Open Access Research is a portal that showcases journal news, collections, highlights and recent campaigns from BioMed Central’s open access journals, as selected by their editors.
- BMC Cancer is an open access, peer-reviewed journal that considers articles on all aspects of cancer research, including the pathophysiology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancers.
- The American Journal of Cancer Research is an independent open access, online only journal to facilitate rapid dissemination of novel discoveries in basic science and treatment of cancer.
- The National Cancer Institute’s Genomic Data Commons (GDC) Data Portal is a “robust data-driven platform that allows cancer researchers and bioinformaticians to search and download cancer data from analysis.”
- The Global Health Data Exchange includes “the world’s most comprehensive catalog of surveys, censuses, vital statistics, and other health-related data.”
- The Dryad Repository includes the datasets underlying many journal publications and has a substantial number of datasets related to cancer.
- Open Trials is still in beta, but aims to “locate, match, and share all publicly accessible data and documents, on all trials conducted, on all medicines and other treatments, globally.” The public beta version is now available.