Knowledge Management -- Current State Assessment
When developing a new KM program, we strongly recommend kicking off the process with a knowledge management assessment.
KM assessments are designed to take stock of environment as it stands today from a knowledge management perspective. Through the discovery process, you get a complete picture of the current state of KM practices, technologies, tools, governance in place within your organization -- what's working, what's not, and what are the true root causes for today's challenges.
What is a Knowledge Management Assessment?
A Knowledge Management (KM) assessment is the process of capturing the current state of KM within an organization or department. The assessment process should be designed to solicit input from a representative group of staff and other key stakeholders to identify:
- What's working and what's not
- Pinpoint where knowledge flow bottlenecks are occurring
- Good practices for knowledge capture and knowledge sharing that can be built upon
- Potential early adopters or champions for KM
- How technology is being used to enable knowledge sharing -- or how it is hindering knowledge sharing
- Elements of organizational culture and structure that present barriers to effective knowledge management
- Findings from KM assessments are often surprising; what was assumed to be a technology problem is often tied to organizational culture, day-to-day practices, or how cross-functional teams work together.
- Undergoing a KM assessment can be extremely beneficial in helping groups develop a shared understanding of and common vocabulary to describe what's working and what's not.
KM assessments act as a springboard upon which future efforts are built, so it is beneficial to pull back and conduct an in-depth analysis of the current environment before trying to envision what the future might look like.
Since we want to be certain that a new KM strategy addresses the right issues, it's important to have a solid foundation upon which to start.Read case studies
Ready to talk to a Knowledge Management Consultant?
The FireOak team has over ten years of experience helping organizations around the world enhance their approaches to knowledge management. We're here to listen, conduct KM assessments, coach organizations through the discovery process, and help solve all types of organizational information and knowledge management problems.Contact the FireOak Team